Home

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Eating My Way down the 7 Line






Where I eat when I wander.. I take a long walk home from work often. That is the great part about being semi-retired and done at noon. And I eliminate any weight loss benefit by testing out eateries along the way. There are so many wonderful places to eat along the #7 subway line, that even I can’t possible attempt to try all of them. Here is the shortest of lists of a variety of places I love.
1.Stop Inn 
60-22 Roosevelt Ave
Woodside, NY 11377 Woodside
 Subway Stop: 61street Woodside

 I am including this restaurant because from time to time someone asks me to recommend a traditional American restaurant. I am not sure I know what exactly is a traditional American restaurant, but I bring those requesting one, here. It’s a diner like I remember diners- booths, eggs and hamburgers, friendly staff and checkered curtains hanging in the window. The reviews complain that the menu is pricey and they are a bit pricier than the ethnic restaurants but the portions are huge. Often you can order Yankee Pot Roast- so if you are looking for an example of traditional American food-that's about as traditional as I can think of.

2.Three Aunties Thai Market
64-04 39th Ave
Woodside, NY 11377 Woodside
Subway Stop: 61 Street Woodside

SriPraPha is a well-known, well reviewed Thai Restaurant. I haven't eaten there in years. No fault of theirs- just so many more Thai restaurants opened close to home. But across the street is a little Thai grocery with a small eating counter next to its front window. I ordered two chicken curry puffs. Each cost $1.50. Really, really delicious and there were all sorts of Muay Thai Boxing supplies to look at while I ate.

3.Rajbhog- Indian 
72-27 37th Avenue
Jackson Heights, NY 11372
Subway stop- 74th Street Broadway on the 7 –the same station is called Roosevelt on the E,F and M,R trains

The door has a poster that states that the food available is vegetarian, vegan, Jain and kosher The small store has all sorts of interesting and eye catching sweets. I ordered Samosa Chaat-Chickpea curry with yogurt onions and tangy sauces for $6.99. It was really good and way too much for just me. Next time I will definitely try one of the sweets 

4. Lhasa Fast Food Tibetan 
37-50 74th St Ste 3750
Jackson Heights, NY 11372
Subway Stop: 74 Street

I did not stumble onto this place. That would have been impossible. I went looking for it one day based on an article I read somewhere. Now it has some fame and even Anthony Bourdain featured it on a May 2017, Parts Unknown program. It is always described as being in back of a cell phone store. Though that is only partially correct, Queens is filled with store fronts that have mini-malls, a succession of counters selling electronics, jewelry and the likes, things that don’t require racks and racks of space so several enterprises can share one location. So look for the address then walk in and wander around. If you look non-Tibetan and lost- someone will immediately direct you to the restaurant. What I like best is the hot buttered tea—but check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efeZYOLu1TY for more information.

5. Arepa Lady Colombian 
77-17 37th Ave
Jackson Heights, NY 11372
Jackson Heights  (They moved.  This is the current location)

It seems like everyone knows the story of Arepa Lady. Maria Cano, a Colombian immigrant was an attorney in Colombia, but unable to practice in the US she opened a food truck that sold Arepas, a Colombian pancake made with corn flour and stuffed with all kinds of things. The business became very successful and currently has a location in Brooklyn as well.  Besides ordering Arepas, I like the appetizer variety plate, make sure to have one of the fruit drinks as well.

6. 969 NYC Coffee Japanese 
37-65 80th Street
Jackson Heights,, NY 11372
 Subway Stop: 82 Street

 One of the reviews in Yelp said something like “Holy moly, a real Japanese Restaurant run by a real Japanese person.” Again this is a really small shop with limited seating. I stopped in one cold day in February and the owner/ counterman had just returned from vacation in Japan, which he was really happy to tell me about. I ordered Onigiri- white rice- usually stuffed with fish. Maybe an authentic foodie would know that. I am not an authentic foody. The owner very carefully explained it to me. Because it was February, the Onigiri’s were shaped as hearts. I brought one home for my valentine. It was great.

7. La Nueva Bakery- Uruguayan
86-10 37th Avenue
Jackson Heights NY
Subway stop: 90th Street Elmhurst Ave
 I read about this one in a New York Times article about Latin, New York. I mentioned wanting to look for it to a co-worker who waxed poetic about the pastries there for the next ten minutes. It must have many different types of wonderful pastries, I insist on purchasing the alfijores, the caramel filled shortbread cookies I developed a passion for on vacation in Argentina. The bakery is Uruguayan but close enough.

 8. Rincon Criollo Cuban 
40-09 Junction Blvd Corona,
 NY 11368 North Corona
Subway Stop: Junction Boulevard
I went to Cuba on a cruise ship. It is an easy way to get a very shallow taste of Cuba. However, I spent more time eating Cuban Food in Corona than I did in Havana. If I didn’t enjoy the food, which I very much do, I would still go to look at the photos of old Cuba that line the walls. If it looks like those photos are from the family albums of the staff and customers – it’s because they are. Also, the walls are decorated with the wood map shaped cutouts of the countries from where the customers originated, Queens and the world in a storefront. 

No comments:

Post a Comment