Home

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Latin New York


36 hours in Latin New York\



The article covers Jackson Heights.  



day in Jackson Heights

Thursday I walked home down 37th Avenue.  My goal was to check out the La Nueva Cafe.  I read the article in the Sunday Times travel section and was determined to  check it out while attempting to put together the day's 10,000 steps.  As I walked down 37th Avenue the sky ahead was clear blue, the sky behind me was sunny but towards Northern Boulevard menacing clouds gathered.  I entered La Nueva Cafe with my jacket rolled into its nifty pouch and the umbrella buried in the bookbag. 

Inside La Nueva Cafe did not disappoint.  I ordered 4 alfajores - a short bread sandwich cookie, layered with Dulce De Leche. A week in Argentina was enough to acquire an addiction to alfajores.  And while I was there I might as well get the cheese bread and some scones.  All for a grand total of $15.  But wait- they didn't take credit cards.

Out in search of an ATM (they have one in the store- but unwilling to pay the addition surcharge- I went to look for a cheaper option) I stopped in the supermarket for some dinner ingredients hoping they would have a cash back policy- they didn't)  With shopping bags and still no cash I proceeded onward. And then the skies opened up.

Long story short- I found the Capitol One bank four blocks away, Thought about abandoning the baked goods for another day- but the subway station at 84th Street was not running trains to Flushing.  Went back to the bakery, explained in two languages that my bags had been put aside.
I bought the items, Stuffed down a scone- the alfajores are too good not to savor, and headed down to  Northern Boulevard for the bus.  The sun had returned, and the scone staved off hunger.

Were the alfijores worth it?  Definitely!

No comments:

Post a Comment